Free online course for separated parents
Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
Divorce, financial ...
Clear all

Divorce, financial order going to court advice

New Member Registered

Hi- need some advice 

wife left while i was at work . She was pregnant. House emptied out. Helped herself to 10k more in saving account + a valuable watch. ( we had joint account)
 She Issued divorce proceeding within 2 weeks   … all in all she took roughly 20k more. 


Had to get a solicitor to write to her solicitor to find out on pregnancy. 
Found out months later miscarriage due to stress ( so she says )  

final order can be applied for soon. 


i have been paying mortgage and service charge on my own for last 8 months 


we both own our former RTB council home 2 years now. Perhaps 50k in equity at this moment of time.  

exchange of financial form E through solicitors. Voluntary 

she mentioned on the form, on one of the sections regarding behaviour. Affair, financial control and verbal abuse. How would one have access to saving if i had financial control. Nonsense. 
also future estimated cost of £700 per month on water gas and electric for her. 


i sent over all supporting documentation statements etc  while she sent over nothing to back of her claims 

i asked why she did not declare the valuable watch and asked to see proof of debt she claims. ( watch was bought on our joint account under my name ) 
also her to confirm she has not paid towards mortgage and service charge  and has no intention of doing so. 

She ignored my questions and puts a list of 15 questions which are absolutely petty and waste of time. Which my solicitor also advised  it will cost you more money on my legal fees and i doubt you will reach a settlement with her  so he said to go to mediation to her solicitor. 

i am getting drained financially. I don’t want to deal with her. I said keep what you took and the £7k she has in her pension and transfer me over her half of the home. She won’t say what she is after.  

i have high debt that i have put myself into funding her lifestyle prior. At the moment i am scraping through monthly.  I was the main earner. She’s only grew in her career last 1.5 years 


marriage for 7 years. 
i am self employed and earn roughly £30/35k while she is now on 50k per year.  Home before bought under RTB was rented under my sole name.  

how much would court potentially cost me if i represented myself ? With hearing etc.  i don’t want to go to court but she’s being difficult.


and what would the potential outcome be? Possible worse and best case scenario. 
considering she is not contributing to the mortgage since she left and i have huge debt compared to her. 

i can’t borrow more to buy her out as mortgage lenders won’t lend more as it’s RTB . Until council interest ends in 3.5 years time. 


Topic starter Posted : 27/07/2023 10:50 pm
Honorable Member

I'm sorry to hear that and it must be very stressful.  You might find some information in one of the booklets on the website.  There is one overing financial arrangements after divorce.  Mediation is certainly a good way forward and will be quicker and cheaper than using solicitors.  You can find a local mediator through the Family Mediation Council

Posted : 28/07/2023 9:59 am
New Member Registered

That sounds incredibly difficult and stressful. It's important to take care of yourself during this tough time.

Posted : 29/04/2024 10:43 am
New Member Registered

I'm really sorry to hear about what you're going through. When my friend faced a similar situation, he found it helpful to lean on his support network for guidance and emotional support. It might be worth seeking advice from a divorce lawyerto understand your rights and options moving forward. Remember, you're not alone in this, and there are people who can help you navigate through this challenging time. Take care of yourself.

Posted : 29/04/2024 11:05 am

Pin It on Pinterest