Dad dot info
Free online course for separated parents
Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
Clear all

Free online course for separated parents. Click here

How do I obtain my child's first passport?

Eminent Member Registered

Hi, my son is 6 and is to reside with me for the remainder of his childhood because of a court ordered decision. I obviously have proof of this with the sealed court order. However, when my son was very young his mother refused to put me on the birth certificate unless I accompany her back then. I have PR and court ordered residency but no birth certificate. How do I get a passport for my son, or a birth certificate? Is a court ordered paper enough?



Topic starter Posted : 04/06/2022 6:22 pm
Famed Member

This site mentions:

What documents do I need to get their passport?

You will need:

  • two suitable passport pics of your baby
  • their full birth certificate, or adoption certificate (the one with their parents’ details on)
  • proof your child has British nationality, e.g. British registration certificate or parent’s passport or birth certificates
  • any valid passports they might have from different countries
  • any court orders, e.g. describing parental responsibility or residency arrangements.


You’ll need original copies of all of these, rather than photocopies or laminated versions. If the docs aren’t in English or Welsh, you’ll need certified translations of them.

If you’re worried about not getting your documents back safely via ‘normal’ post, you can pay an extra £5 to get them sent back securely. You’ll need to select this service on your application if you’d like it.


other info I found about adding father to birth certificate:


if you were not married, then you need Form GRO 185 to apply to re-register a child's birth and add the natural father's details. on the form it states: 


- Father will go but mother is not co-operating
Read Section 12 and complete sections 2-7 and 13



If there’s been a ‘Declaration of Parentage’

A Declaration of Parentage is when the court decides who the father of a baby is. You don’t need to do anything to change the birth record if there’s been a Declaration of Parentage made by a court. The court will tell the General Register Office and the birth will be re-registered. You’ll need to order a new birth certificate if you want one.


If the parents have married or formed a civil partnership after the child was born, they are required to re-register the birth to have the natural father’s details added to the birth record.

You must use form LA1 to re-register your child’s birth.


This post was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by Bill337
Posted : 04/06/2022 7:14 pm

how contact centres work

Famed Member

you can try go through these steps here and see if they will accept a court order, without a birth certificate:

Posted : 04/06/2022 7:19 pm
Illustrious Member

You should be able to order a copy of your son's birth certificate directly from the registrar's office I believe.

Posted : 23/06/2022 3:58 pm

top tips to support your child after breakup

Free online course for separated parents. Click here


Pin It on Pinterest