Free online course for separated parents
Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
Clear all

Help. Can a dad add his surname to child in the UK or Isle of Man if Mum has used another surname?

New Member Registered


I’m an unmarried father of a baby in the UK. I’m based in Berlin and have been informed by my child’s mother that she has used her mothers surname as the name of the child. I was not informed about this and I’d like to know if anything can be done as I’d like to have parental responsibility and also have the child have my surname. 

I’ll like to know if anyone can recommend a lawyer I could talk to or advise on a similar situation in the UK. 

Topic starter Posted : 26/03/2023 5:53 pm
Honorable Member

You can apply for parental responsibility.  There is information about this on the website.  If the mother agrees then it is a simple process as she signs a form confirming her agreement.  There is also information on the same website about changing a child's surname.  There is also a booklet on the website on how to get parental responsibility without a lawyer.

Posted : 26/03/2023 6:34 pm

Pin It on Pinterest