Free online course for separated parents
Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
Clear all

Controlling my children

Active Member Registered

How can my son stop his wife forcing his children to stand in front of him and tell him they don’t want to see him other then every other weekend as per her arrangement?

Topic starter Posted : 12/06/2023 8:38 am
Illustrious Member


How old is his son? If he is being manipulated to say things it could be classes as emotional abuse. So he has private arrangements with his ex to see child? How long has this been in place?

Posted : 12/06/2023 8:54 pm
Estimable Member Registered

Hi Maisydoe,

Thank you for your question. As there is limited information, from what I can glean from your post, I would suggest that there is at this time very little that your son can do to change what his ex partner says to his children, so focus on what you and him can do for them and with them when your son has them and when you see them. But, as with all these things, if your son has any concerns about his children's welfare, then he must contact the appropriate authorities.  

You don't say how old his children are, but I am guessing that they are perhaps pre teens? If so, and I appreciate it must be difficult, but try to refrain from using any derogatory language about their Mum in front of them, reinforce to them how much they are loved by yourself and their Dad - your son, and how much you do look forward to seeing them when you are allowed to see them. 

Also if your son and his ex partner are able to communicate civilly, then perhaps he could mention his concerns about how he feels the children are being made to tell him they only want to see him as per the arranged time.

I appreciate it must be hard for your son having limited time with his children, so try to get him to focus and to look forward to the time he will have with them, the activities that they can do and the memories they can make. No one can ever take those away from him.

Wishing him and you all the best,

Parent Support.

Posted : 02/10/2023 11:36 am
Eminent Member Registered

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear what your son is going through. It's a tough situation. I'd suggest he talks to a family lawyer to understand his rights and options, and starts keeping detailed records of all interactions. Therapy or counseling might help him cope and get some strategies. Mediation could also be a good way to try and find a better co-parenting arrangement. Most importantly, he should keep being a loving dad and focus on creating positive experiences with his kids.

Posted : 28/06/2024 5:07 am

Pin It on Pinterest