Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
Changes to the Chil...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Changes to the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) - March 2022

(@bill337)
Illustrious Member

Today the CMS announced new powers to expand the list of firms and organisations that have to give it data if asked.

This will now include pension firms, the Motor Insurers’ Bureau and investment companies, as well as academy schools.

The CMS said this would help it "trace the paying parent, calculate maintenance and enforce arrears more effectively".

The organisation can already order current or former employers to hand over parents' information, as well as accountants.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/child-maintenance-crackdown-means-bosses-26461433

Full outcome of consultation:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/child-maintenance-modernising-and-improving-our-service/outcome/government-response-child-maintenance-modernising-and-improving-our-service?fbclid=IwAR36q1d29PhKlnfXiZN34Hj2_gBRp8po8LEeTkUlyZatTueCx8_lYdEIsUk

Topic starter Posted : 14/03/2022 1:42 pm
actd
 actd
(@actd)
Illustrious Member

In theory, this shouldn't be an issue as the NRP should be declaring this in any event.

What is a real pity is that CMS (and benefit office) don't seem to put any effort into looking into PWC who continue to fraudulently claim child benefit, and thereby child maintenance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/03/2022 3:18 pm
DARNOC, Bill337, DARNOC and 1 people reacted
(@bill337)
Illustrious Member

if anyone interested:

The All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Single Parent Families held an online event on Monday 17th January to discuss how the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) must be improved for the benefit of children of single parent families across the country..

The event was chaired by Rupa Huq, Labour MP for Ealing Central and Acton, with speakers Victoria Benson, CEO of Gingerbread and Dr Nicola Sharp-Jeffs, CEO of Surviving Economic Abuse, as well as Gemma and Yael, two single parents who bravely shared their first-hand experiences of the CMS. APPG Vice-Chair Rosie Duffield MP, Stephen Timms MP, Philip Davies MP, Sally-Ann Hart MP and Peter Bottomley MP were also in attendance and joined the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZi21-kr6EI

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/03/2022 10:22 pm
(@darnoc)
Active Member Registered

@actd Your right there, all falls on deaf ears

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2022 6:04 pm
(@fraser1971)
New Member Registered

We raised a fraud case with child benefit in relation to my wife lying about my son still living with her. How quickly will this be investigated?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/12/2022 9:46 am
actd
 actd
(@actd)
Illustrious Member

@fraser1971 I'm afraid they are notoriously slow on this. I would keep chasing, but it never seems to figure high in their priorities.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2023 3:00 pm
(@rich1)
Active Member Registered

Hi all,

So up until this Friday (29/09/23) paying parents only had to pay 90% of the payment anything less and it was classed as a missed payment and they would then put you on a deductions order. As of today (02/10/23) CMS have updated their website and have removed this 90% rule and not only that they have now changed the time frame from 5 days down to 3 days to make the payment.

I've bent over backwards and been screwed over by this lot and despite showing evidence of payments they have refused to acknowledge these stating my ex doesn't want to accept them as payment towards the child. This is why I decided to use this ruling. But I wanted everyone else to be made aware if the changes of payment percent as well as payment time frame just in case any one gets penalised.

In a nut shell you now have 3 days to make a payment from the date they tell you not 5. And you have to pay in full too. 

As another poster says, the system is clearly not designed to prevent benefit fraud which is a shame.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2023 7:14 pm
(@richjmet79)
Active Member Registered

@rich1  what happens if you are in arrears please

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2023 12:52 am
Share:

Pin It on Pinterest