Free online course for separated parents
Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
My son is now livin...
Clear all

My son is now living with me

New Member Registered

Apologies if this is a REALLY daft question... 

My 15 year old son was living with his mother after our divorce 10 years ago.  I have paid maintenance in accordance with the CM Calculator found on since then.  Unfortunately, she has now developed a serious drinking habit and I have had to move back up to be near him and am renting a flat so that he has a safe space to escape to if he needs it...

He now needs it and has moved in with me.  Does this mean I no longer have to pay child maintenance to my ex ?  And am I entitled to claim from her ?


Many thanks !

Topic starter Posted : 23/04/2024 8:09 pm
Illustrious Member

hi. if son living with you is permanent, ideally you need to claim/transfer child benefit to yourself. that way CMS will consider you to be primary carer, and thus should stop paying maintenance. then you can claim from her if you open a CMS case.

Posted : 24/04/2024 11:44 am

Pin It on Pinterest