Free online course for separated parents
Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
Clear all

Emigration query

Active Member Registered
Advice needed please..

I'm divorced with 2 kids (8 & 10) who live with mum. They have time with me - currently 4 nights each fortnight which was agreed in mediation which indicated a consent order to her however I have never signed a formal order.

I'm now remarried and my wife and I hope to emigrate to India. Partly to offer the children a better quality of life when with us, and for her due to a health condition which means she cannot remain in this country.

I'm well aware of the need to put children first however I have questions too and really need advice.
Would be most grateful to hear from anyone with experience/advice.

* How is the level of maintenance worked out if I am/am not working?
* Can mum stop me from leaving/sue me on the grounds that it is not in the children's interest?
* Can mum refuse access should I return fully to the UK?

I'm sure there are many things I have not added too.. 

Thank you

Topic starter Posted : 08/02/2022 7:31 pm
Illustrious Member

hello. Firstly, your ex cannot put any restrictions on your movements, so she can't stop you from moving abroad. However, without any court order, then she can restrict contact you have with the children on your return until you either reach an agreement, or go to court. 

Really, since you have come to an agreement so far, if you can do so with your intentions for the future, that would be best for all concerned.

Posted : 08/02/2022 11:02 pm

Pin It on Pinterest