Free online course for separated parents
Forum - Ask questions. Get answers.
Free online course for separated parents
Clear all

Child benefit

Active Member Registered

Hello everyone.

I'm new here and I need help. I have 7yo son. Me and his mother are separated from birth. I was always in his life around 50/50 with her. However two years ago my son started to cause problems and refused to go back to her whenever handover time came about. Basically we agreed that he will stay with me 4 nights out of 7 and she ll have him 3 days. So I have 208 nights per year. My problem is that she claims child benefit which obviously gives her open gate to everything where I don't have anything. I heard that I can claim separate child benefit and leave it with HMRC to decide who should get it. I go parents evening and I receive all information directly from the school. I don't know if I stand any chance of HMRC awarding this to me. I didn't apply for child maintenance as I'm not really bothered about her money. How do I go about it. I don't want to go court because getting 50/50 it's not a good outcome for me when I already have more than this, but at the same time having more custody and not receiving any help also doesn't make sense. Thank you for your answers.

Topic starter Posted : 31/01/2022 1:22 am
Illustrious Member


there is information here. if your ex is not agreeable to switching child benefit over to you, then sounds like it will be very difficult:

Posted : 31/01/2022 10:17 am

Pin It on Pinterest